i can only describe 2015 as a hurricane and the rainbow after, all at the same time. taking a nod from my friend annie, here’s…how it went.
- What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
visited europe, took my sister out of the country, finally got a livable salary
- Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i made a list of 18 things i wanted to accomplish at the beginning of the year. i did 9 of them. one was to figure out how to wash my clothes in a way that actually got rid of the workout stank. i’m calling it a win. of course i am making new ones. of course i am not sharing them here.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
my cousin jess gave birth to whittaker gray. he’s quite the ladies’ man.
- Did anyone close to you die?
my sweet nanny. and i almost lost a dear french-canadian priest friend to cancer.
- What countries did you visit?
iceland, england, france and ireland
- What would you like to have in 2016 that you didn’t have in 2015?
a porch and/or backyard and more dinner parties
- What dates from 2015 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
nanny died on september 24th and my last day at my loathsome previous job was october 2
- What was your biggest achievement of this year?
realizing i’ve gotten myself to a place of stability and contentment, bordering on happiness, after years of the opposite
- What was your biggest failure?
believing the things i tell myself late at night while lying in bed, not fleshing out what i consider to be great ideas, and not reading enough
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
after months of downplaying the debilitating pain, numbness and weakness running the length of my leg and pelvis, i got myself to the world’s best physical therapist. and she fixed me. and she told me she’s rarely seen someone as broken as i was. and i feel a million times better. who knew?
- What was the best thing you bought?
nutella crepes from a street vendor under the arc de triomphe
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
the french man who explained the paris massacre to his young son on live tv. these people.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
anti-immigration trolls who forget most of us in this country are from somewhere else, too
- Where did most of your money go?
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
i got really, really, really excited when i found out adele was coming to denver. and then really, really, really not excited when i found out she sold out in like two minutes. also, my friends sarah and amanda asked me to be in their wedding and i am PUMPED.
- What song will always remind you of 2015?
hello. and anything by haim.
- Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
happier…i think. stronger. possibly thinner? possibly not thinner? richer.
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
written. read. cooked. shared. photographed. walked in wash park. listened to podcasts. yoga-ed. volunteered.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
worrying. fighting with my sister. facebook.
- How did you spend Christmas?
mom, sarah and i had coffee cake and sausage ring and opened gifts. i shoveled snow and went on a walk. we went to friends’ for dinner.
- Did you fall in love?
no. but if the universe is nudging someone my way…I’M ALL EARS.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
was kimmy schmidt this year? new girl. mindy. downton. gilmore girls. grey’s. nothing makes me feel more basic than my choice of television.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
not hate, but for sure dislike. for SURE dislike.
- What was the best book you read?
all the light we cannot see. this year and forever.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
the film score spotify playlists.
- What did you want and get?
a pastry cutter. two new jobs. new bed sheets. a new yoga mat. a birthday cake made by my mom.
- What did you want and not get?
oh man. no comment.
- What was your favorite film of 2015?
far from the madding crowd
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
i had just returned from europe with the worst jet lag of my life. pretty sure i did laundry and slept. 29.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
seeing people i love in less pain
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2015?
the harsh realization i now have to dress like an adult five days a week and don’t have nearly enough clothes to do so
- What kept you sane?
sitting on my couch in the sunshine watching traffic. orangetheory. books and chai in bed in the morning.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
the refugee crisis and paris attacks
- Who did you miss?
nanny. and all my great friends from dc.
- Who was the best new person you met?
our irish hosts kevin and marian and the northern irish high school boys at the hostel in england
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015.
things usually resolve themselves when you’re at the breaking point, and not a moment sooner
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
you’ll find a rooftop to sing from
or find a hallway to dance
you don’t need no edge to cling from
your heart is there, it’s in your hands
i know it seems like forever
i know it seems like an age
but one day this will be over
i swear it’s not so far away
-florence and the machine, various storms and saints